It’s becoming apparent to small and medium business owners are facing challenges finding good staff that match all needs of business and fit into the work culture. At one time business owners were likely to hire staff they can trust such as friends or family. This is becoming more complex, with skills not always apparent in immediate circle. Candidates frustrated with redundancies are turning to SMEs to fulfil there career stability and longevity. These are just a few reasons why job seekers are turning to SMEs in 2012.
- Small and Medium businesses can have a impressive range of employer benefits available, includingMore opportunities to expand skills – In smaller businesses, employees can be involved in more generalist roles, allowing them opportunities to take on new skills and functions that wouldn’t be available in a large organisation.
- A more flexible working environment – Small and Medium sized employers can offer more flexibility, whether that’s in the form of flexible working hours, work locations or overall work practices.
- Less bureaucracy and office politics – Even though work involves working with people- we cannot escape some office politics, but smaller office environments generally provide more opportunities for open flow communication.
- Greater opportunity to influence key decisions – As part of a smaller team, ideas can be more freely exchanged and implemented, allowing every team member to have their input and ideas put to practice.
- A great team culture – For an SME, the work culture and cultural fit for a business is almost more important than your qualifications. Whilst personality and attitude are only considerations in the overall recruitment process, for an employer the costs associated with bad attitude in the workplace often cost far more than having to train employees in a new skill. Also, It’s well-documented that the people you work with have a huge impact on an your overall job satisfaction- so why not work in a great culture filled with hand selected over all great people!
- Easier to get results noticed – Who doesn’t like having their work recognised and valued in the workplace. With most SMEs, It’s far easier for the business to notice great performance, and this also comes with under-performance! For those employees seeking value and results in their career, a SME environment might be right for you.